ACOUSTIC ENGINEERS: SCOPE, CAREER, AND OPPORTUNITIES
Are you interested in the science of sound and vibration? Do you have a knack of understanding and distinguishing various sounds? Acoustic engineering is a branch of engineering which can help unleash your potential! Acoustic engineers are professionals, typically concerned with design, analysis, and control of sound. One of their important goals is noise control and thereby renders a pleasant and healthy hearing experience to people. Unwanted noise can cause hearing impairment and have a negative huge impact on your well being. However, there are a lot of positive uses of sound like ultrasonic, used in medical programming on which acoustic engineers work.
Why acoustical engineering?
The scope of Acoustical engineering reaches far and wide with new sources of entertainment available online. The video web content market is growing rapidly, opening new opportunities for sound engineers. Platforms like YouTube are helping them to make a living by editing and making good sound quality videos and promoting them online. The expansion of the entertainment industry all over the world needs more and more skilled sound engineers for concerts, theatres, orchestra, etc. Apart from this industry, there are a plethora of sub-disciplines available to acoustic engineers. To name a few are; Architectural Acoustics, Musical Acoustics, Bioacoustics, Noise control, Psychoacoustics, Acoustic engineer consultancy.
Facts to know before making it a career.
- Career as an acoustic engineer can be fulfilling pocket-wise and heart-wise both. Except that involves high risks because of its dependency on demand of the audience.
- It is very challenging because of the huge competition and its ever involving nature. The Acoustic engineers’ pay scale depends on the skill.
- The highs and lows would be part of life and it is a sort of unstable field.
- This field is a lot about moving around to different places, so you should be flexible and adaptable enough.
- Very few countries have colleges pertaining to this branch of engineering.
Certainly, this field has a bright future for those wanting to explore sound and its scope in the era of technology. One’s own creativity can take one to great heights in this field. The opportunities of freelancing too are at the disposal of professionals of acoustical engineering. The sub-disciplines of the field and emerging job opportunities are a major attraction for young people. Like all the streams, this too has some pros and cons which should be assessed carefully before making it a choice.